Beckwiths share anniversary with congregation
A week after celebrating their 60th wedding anniversary on Monhegan Island — where they were married in 1953 — Jane and Gary Beckwith shared the special occasion with members of the congregation on Sept. 15.
For Fellowship Time after the 10 a.m. service, Jane and Gary brought their own cake, prepared and decorated at the Cookie Jar, and shared it with everyone. Kay and Jim Young provided the punch to complete the special celebration.
The congregation presented the Beckwiths with a basket of anniversary cards and the Youth Group made a large heart-shaped cookie for Gary and Jane, presented by Katie Connelly.
At the end of the 10 a.m. service, Lay Leader Steve Hill offered the congregation some thoughts on what life was like 60 years ago, when Jane and Gary were married:
- Price of a gallon of gas was 20 cents
- Average price of a new home was $9,500
- Kodak introduced the Brownie Flash Camera for $13
- A teachers average annual salary was $4,254
- Dwight D. Eisenhower was president of the United States
- Elizabeth II was crowned Queen of England
- The most popular TV shows were “I Love Lucy” and “Dragnet.”
- Best Motion Picture (Academy Award) was “From Here to Eternity.” That film also had the year’s Best Supporting Actor (Frank Sinatra) and Best Supporting Actress (Donna Reed).
- Top record recording was “That’s Amore” by Dean Martin.
- In the World Series, the New York Yankees defeated the Brooklyn Dodgers.
Congratulations, Jane and Gary!!!